Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Small firm steps.



I can feel a blog post in the back of my mind, but it's not exactly coming..


Summer has been treating me very fair. :)

Yesterday I spent the afternoon with the Haabala's. :) The plan was for me to watch the kids while Carly trained for her ten mile run coming up in July! When she mentioned it, she hadn't remembered that Cole had to have his IV antibiotics hooked up from three to four. Despite that she invited me over to come help with a VBS lesson. With that I learned one of my own...

I walked into the house only to see bright smiles on the three kids' faces accompanied by a smile on Carly's. The kids scattered back to their previous activities while I jokingly chased after Cole threatening to tickle him if he didn't report to his mom for his IV's. Of course on my part it was some what of a mistake. It become more of a game for him and I then it was affective to settle him down, but as soon as Carly said "The sooner we get this done the sooner you guys can go to Missy's house to jump on the trampoline.", he knew it meant business. I stood next to him as they unclamped, drew blood, twisted a tube onto his port, and begin injecting the antibiotics. As a stood there a million questions filled my mind. Before I knew it. I became the special little pole that people at hospitals roll next to them as the IV's drips...

The cord was was about three feet long from the injecting machine to his port on his chest, which meant the machine in my hand couldn't travel to far away... I could see the huge grin on his face as he knew that everywhere he went I had to be close by to follow. He walked in circles, he walked in zig-zags, he walked in patterns unexplainable. He'd often pick up the pace, slow down, and at some points even began to run...

In every way this made me think of God. Us being the little children, and God carrying with Him everything we need, every breath we breath. It made me think of how we can choose to walk ahead, or fall behind, but either way God is there. It made me realize the unsteady pattern of some of the paths we choose to take can be harmful, and very unexpected. It makes me think. Why run when we can take small firm steps leaning onto our most stable crutch? It hit me in ways unexplainable.

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

Take some time to think about how you're running the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment